Pg 14 - The Sunshine Express
- Montrose County Fair and Rodeo, July 21-28
- 1st Annual Norwood Renaissance Fair! Hear ye, hear
ye! ACE of Norwood is putting on their first annual
Renaissance Fair on Saturday, July 7th at the Fair-
grounds! Tickets are available at the ACE website, or
at different businesses in town.
- Telluride Playwright's Festival, July 9-15, A labora-
tory for playwrights, actors, and directors where, for
one week, dynamic, meaningful work is nurtured and
refined. Bringing playwrights, actors and directors
together to work on new plays, the festival includes
readings and performances in intimate, communal
settings against the backdrop of the majestic San Juan
- Telluride Yoga Festival July 12-15
- Hardrock 100 Endurance Race July 13-15, The
Hardrock 100 Endurance Race is a 100 mile run whose
course makes a big loop through the San Juan Moun-
Fairs, Fests, Fun (continued)
tains of beautiful southwest Colorado. The 100 miles
- Southern Ute Sun Dance, July 13-16, A pow wow at
includes 33,992 feet of climbing.
the Southern Ute Tribe event center
- Palisade Independence Day Celebration July 4, parade,
- KOTO Doo-Dah Concert July 13-15
- Art on the Animas, July 13-14, 970.247.2117
games, food. Palisade Memorial Park, 970.464.5602 www.
-San Miguel Basin Fair - July 21-28, The San Miguel Ba-
- Fiesta Days, July 21-29, Celebrate our Spanish history
sin Fair and Rodeo is held at the County Fairgrounds
and cowboy heritage with rodeos and a parade and
- Independence Day Parade, July 4, 5p. Main Street. Fire-
in Norwood, CO, a 40-mile drive through river can-
works take place at dusk at Lincoln Park. Main St., Grand
yons to the open mesa ranch land. The week kicks off
- Duck and Run Race, July 28, 2p to 4p, Inflatable kayak
Junction, 970.245.9697 www.downtowngj.org/sig_events.
with a Motocross Exhibition and Barn Dance Saturday
down the river and run the river trail back to the start.
night and wraps up with two nights of CPRA Rodeo
We provide duckies or bring your own. Register at
excitement. In between are the pie & cake contest,
970.247.4789. Ages 12+
- Little Britches Rodeo, July 13-15, Cedaredge. This is the
livestock shows and auctions, carnival rides, food, and
- Celebrate 4th of July in Pagosa July 4-7, live music,
longest-running Little Britches Rodeo in the world. Hun-
carnival, rodeos, and an amazing fireworks show.
dreds of cowpokes, ages five to 18 years old, compete for
- Telluride Art Auction July 19-21, The Ah Haa School
- 2012 Pagosa Duathlon, July 14, Intersection of Turkey
prizes, cash and bragging rights.
for the Arts is a community center of learning and cul-
Springs and Monument Park , Monument Park Rd.
- Deltarado Days, July 19-22, Delta. This authentic Western
ture that offers a wide variety of programs and seeks
- San Juan River Music Festival July 14-15, Join us for
fiesta dates back to 1936 and includes food, live music,
to inspire individuals of all ages to explore, develop
a two days of great music, incredible food, and locally
street dances, a parade and other family fun.
crafted beers, plus more in downtown Pagosa.
- Telluride Americana Music Fest July 19-21, The Tel-
- Renaissance and Pirate Festival July 20-22, Join us
- July 4, Dolores Town Food and Fireworks Celebration -
luride Americana Music Fest features three nights of
for Pagosa Springs 4th Annual Renaissance and Pirate
Americana songwriter music in the Historic Sheridan
Festival in downtown Pagosa!
- July 28, Chili Cookoff at Ground Hog Lake and RV Park
Opera House (plus a VIP event on Wednesday night).
- 7th Annual Cruise a Thong Weekend July 28, The
- Cortez Burst Triathlon 2012, Wednesday, July 4, 7a,
- Telluride Rotary 4x4 July 20-22, We plan to be back
Cruise a Thong is a triathlon designed for the not-quite-
Parque De Vida/Centennial Park Complex, 803 E. Mon-
with our 25th annual full weekend tour. Join us when
hardcore athlete in all of us. It's guaranteed to be the
tezuma Ave, Cortez. This is a family event with a Sprint
you able for guided 4x4 tours in your own vehicle on
most fun you'll have all year!
Distance and a kids race(3 member teams also for adults/
Telluride's most famous and beautiful 4 wheel drive
- Hair of the Dog Disc Golf Tournament July 29, A
"Hair of the Dog" disc golf tournament will be held
New this year: High School Team Challenge, Over 70 open,
- Cajun Festival July 27-28, Come on out for Cajun Fest
subsequent to the Bloody Mary Showdown during the
over 50 open. Come join us for a great race in the morning
at the base of Chair 8!
Cruise a Thong Weekend.
and then fireworks in Parque de Vida later that night.
A 16 mile bike, 3 mile varied terrain run, male, female,
- 32nd Annual Hot Air Balloon Rodeo July 7-8, Join us
- Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration, Wednes-
child, beginner, family, high school. Trophy, medal, snake
for one of the most anticipated and colorful week-
day, July 4, 6:30a-10p. Breakfast, Races, Vendors, BBQ,
start in large outdoor pool, July 4th fireworks in park, HS
ends of the summer. The 31st Annual Hot Air Balloon
Parades, Kid's Activities, and Fireworks. Fun all day in
Team Challenge, over 50, over 70, over 15 open, child's 6
Rodeo and 38th Annual Art in the Park have become
to 10 and 11 to 14 open and team. $20 to $100, Late fees
a staple of Steamboat in the Summertime. Start your
- Fireworks over Ouray. Just about any location in the
apply, Adult, Adult Team events, Kids single/ teams, age
day at Bald Eagle Lake for a spectacular early-morning
city will give you a perfect viewing spot for the fire-
affair as you watch over 40 hot air balloons rise softly
works. Thrill to the booming and echo off the surround-
Check-in: 6:30 to 8p, Cortez Outdoor pool on July 3rd.
from the mist and drift over the Yampa Valley. After-
ing peaks as the sky fills with one of the best fireworks
Race Orientation session 7-8p, Cortez Outdoor Pool July
wards make your way over to West Lincoln Park for
displays in Colorado. Don't forget to by raffle tickets for
3rd. Race starts at 7a on July 4th. Marking and Time Chip
Steamboat's biggest arts and crafts festival. Mark your
the 48th Annual Jeep Raffle which raises funds for the
6:30a, July 4th.
calendars because this weekend is an absolute favorite
spectacular fireworks every year!
- Saturday, July 7, Pennies For Pets, For Pets' Sake Humane
for the entire family!
- Fly Fishing with Ranger John, Friday, July 6, 6-7p
Society is holding their "Pennies For Pets" fundraiser on
- Tour de Steamboat July 21, The Tour de Steamboat
Meet at the bridge at PaCoChuPuk. All gear provided.
Saturday, July 7th, at the Cortez Farmers' Market between
is a legendary Colorado road bike event featuring
Ridgway State Park
8 and 11am. They will be collecting your spare change at
an epic century+ non competitive road ride and two
- "Ute History and Legacy", Friday, July 6, 7:30-8:30p
the For Pets' Sake table at the Market's Community Booth.
smaller routes (40 and 25 miles) that starts and ends in
Presented by the great-great grandson of Chief Ouray,
All donations are used to help the pets of Montezuma and
beautiful downtown Steamboat Springs, CO. Origi-
Roland McCook. Meet at the overlook for an inspiring
Dolores counties live healthier and happier lives.
nally hosted by the legendary frame builder, Kent
talk on the Utes and where they have all gone. Ridgway
- Sunday, July 8, Navajo Arts and Culture talk at AHC,
Eriksen, in the late 1970's, the Tour de Steamboat has
Teacher, artist, and medicine man James Peshlakai is
evolved into an epic Colorado cycling event (including
- Monday, July 16, Free ROCC Talk: HISTORY OF THE
dedicated to the preservation of traditional Navajo culture,
two stages from the 2011 USA Pro Cycling Challenge!).
UTE PEOPLE - Roland McCook will speak about
and he will speak at 1p at the Anasazi Heritage Center.
Museum admission will be free all day. Call 970.882.5600
the history of the Ute
for more information.
People. He is a member of
the Uncompahgre Band
- Lucky Seven Rodeo, July 3, 10 & 17 , 970.749.9790 or
of the Ute Indian Tribe
of Uintah and Ouray
- Independence Day Express Train, July 4. Ride the train
Reservation, Utah. Mr.
to Silverton for a full day of fun and festivities. Return to
McCook is a descendent of
Durango at night, after the fireworks display.
Chief Ouray and Chipeta.
- Salute to America, July 4, www.durangogov.org
He speaks fluent Ute and
- 59th ANNUAL FOUR CORNERS GEM AND MINERAL
has extensive experience
SHOW, July 6-8, Admission is FREE!
conducting historical and
With 59 years of experience, the Four Corners Gem & Min-
archival research on Ute
eral Club really knows how to put on a show. This year's
tribal history. coffee and
event will feature kids' activities all weekend, a silent auc-
cookies at 6:45p, lecture
tion, raffle, mineral displays, and about 40 vendors selling
from 7p-8p at the Ridgway
everything from small, inexpensive fossils and minerals to
jewelry tools and supplies to finished jewelry and artwork.
- "The Silvery San Juan: A
La Plata County Fairgrounds, Durango, 970.385.6850 info@
Liquid History of Legend-
ery Watering Holes," Tom
- Music in the Mountains, July 8-29, Music in the Moun-
Noel, July 17, Ouray Com-
tains is Southwest Colorado's premier three-week classical
music festival featuring orchestra, chamber and conserva-
- Black Canyon Quilt
tory performances of classical and world music. A host of
Show, July 13-15, Mon-
concerts and events are performed in spectacular venues
trose Pavilion. celebrates
set in Durango, Colorado this coming season.
quilts from the hearts.